Advertisement

SpriteLib contest

Started by April 23, 2000 08:39 PM
90 comments, last by SeanHowe 24 years, 4 months ago
OHHHHH YESS!!! I''ve finally finished with only a couple hours to spare LOL Ok I''m gonna upload it now

500k zipped

/Memir
Flash Pool - Pool/Billiards game for Facebook (developed by Memir).
If you guys like Mario (The 2D Classic), then you''re gonna love this - It''s 633k to Download - I just hope they''ve received it !!!!

/Memir
Advertisement
Hehe Memir! Have you ever considered a career in advertizing? I''m anxiously waiting for your game!

"... you act as if stupidity were a virtue."
-- Flight of the Phoenix
"If you build it, it will crash."
WOW Memir. Great! You did that in 3 days!?! Sheeze, call me Mr. Slowprogrammer.

-- Flight of the Phoenix
Told you he was good I for one got a headache . Hope I get a Tshirt or something

..Trying to take me outta the Ghetto , but I'm still buck wild . So I'll hustle up wit em , knuckle up wit em hoody hooo..............
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
quote: Original post by Memir
If you guys like Mario (The 2D Classic), then you''re gonna love this - It''s 633k to Download - I just hope they''ve received it !!!!

I tried it out, awesome job!

My 2.5 day game is SHMUP... source code included [1700 lines]. Can download from gamedev.net or my site. There''s also a screen shot up at my website.

quote: Original post by Memir
btw:- Does anyone know whether we can get our games published, since they use the SpriteLib? OR do we have to give Royalties to Ari Feldman ?

You certainly can. You just have to credit him and include the spritelib license number like you have.

Two questions:
- Is anyone going to work on improving there game entry now that the contest is over?
- Does gamedev.net have contests like this often? Hopefully next time I have 2 months vs 2 days. =)

Good luck to everyone who entered.

- n8

nathany.com
Advertisement
I liked your game too Nathan. Nothing like blasting aliens before going to bed. How difficult was your game to program? I haven''t written a scrolling game yet. I''d be interested to know what kind of challenges you had with it? As for me, I''m not sure I want to update my game. I think I''ll probably put it on the backburner for a while and try to practice drawing a bit until I find some new ideas. How about you?

-- Flight of the Phoenix
I would like to give a big pat on the back to Johan Peitz. Out of all the contest entries, his was the only one I could get to even run on Windows NT. CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! The game is fun too!

I have to wait until I get home to try the other ones...

Josh
http://www.jh-software.com

Edited by - Josh on 5/1/00 8:06:27 AM
Joshhttp://www.jh-software.com
His game runs on NT cos it''s DOS based, the rest including mine run on DirectX which sadly is only available for Windows9x and not NT.

"Microsoft - What the Heck is going on, just get a few programmers pay them couple thousand dollars to make DirectX for NT!!!!!!!" - I really thought that a powerful company such as Microsoft would have enough money to do something that simple.

/Memir
NT did support DirectX 3. While pretty lame in terms of today''s support (and miserable for 3D), a lot of DirectDraw games work fine. Now that Win2K is out, there exactly a zero percent chance that NT is gonna get an updated DirectX.

There is, however, an "underground" version of DX5 available for NT4. It was the DirectX from a really early beta of NT5 (later renamed Win2K). Somebody figured out that the DirectX DLL''s worked under NT4, so they packaged it up separately. Using your favorite search engine, look for "nt4dx5", and you''ll probably find it.

FWIW, I''m using Win2K, and all but a couple of the games work.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement