Advertisement

Teen programmer...just some rambling....

Started by February 27, 2000 12:26 AM
30 comments, last by yeldarB 24 years, 6 months ago
I just stumbled onto this site while surfing the net at 1 in the morning (drank two liters of soda earlier) looking for some programming info. I have to say it''s a great site, very professional and easy to navigate. But anyway, I was wondering how long and hard/easy it was for you all to learn to program at what I assume is a very good level after glancing around the sight. I''m not someone who just wants to make a killer game. I want to actually learn C/C++ as much as I can. I have a couple books, Windows Game Programming for Dummies and a C++ book that came with my cheapo compiler (Borland C++ 4.52, cost 10 bucks, hehe). I really don''t have much money, saving up for car by working my minimum wage job :-) Ah well, the caffiene (spelled correctly?) is wearing off and I am getting tired, so I guess that about raps it up. I look forward to someday being able to post helpful information and tips to "newbies" when I am more experienced. Thanks for reading and I''ll see ya later. yeldarB. Four words.....I''m an Everquest addict! =)
Four words.....I''m an Everquest addict! =)
I''m 13 years old and have been into C programming for about 2 months now. I don''t have a single book on game programming, I''m self taught. I found it VERY easy to learn how to program (download my unfinished Pacman game at http://w1.315.telia.com/~u31504183/files/pac050.zip). It''s really not that difficult

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Advertisement
I am 15 and I have been programming in C/C++ for 2-3 years. When I was 14 I made myself a wireframe 3d engine in C++. I am also very self-thaught, only have one book and it sucks .
I''m 14 (almost 15, my b-day is March 13th), and I have been C++ programming for about a month now. I haven''t made any games, but I have been learning the various concepts of C++.
As for programming, in your direction, you can''t learn how to program in C using Andre Lamothe''s Dummies book. Well, you might, because the prodogies above say they learned C++ and made games without any references, but if you want to learn C++, but you''re strapped for cash, the internet has a large amount of resources on the internet for programming.

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Ok I am gonna be a little more serious. Most of my knowledge comes from various tutorials from the net. The C knowledge comes from my bad book and some book I found at the library.
People who say they''re completely self-taught can shampoo my crotch.
The C/C++ programming language doesn''t just come to you out of the sky; everyone has to use some kind of reference when they get started, and even pros have to use references sometimes. I started programming when I was 8 and I had help from one book. yeldarB, I recommend getting a good book and checking out articles and source code on the Internet. I think you''ll learn quickly that way.

Good luck,
Al
Alexbigshot@austin.rr.comFoolish man give wife grand piano. Wise man give wife upright organ.
Advertisement
When people say they''re self taught they usually mean that they found the information themselves instead of taking a class. I doubt anyone just guessed at the keywords till they had the whole language down (well, actually, thats how I learned most of QBASIC, but thats a bad example )

--TheGoop
For me, selftaught is when you haven''t taken to any classes or stuff like that. If you''ve read a book or tutorial on the internet or asked any questions to people on the net you''re still selftaugt.

I never said I was completely selftaugt, I just said I don''t have any books on C programming. You know, most compilers come with good help files

But reading a book is always best.

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
if u dont have a lot of money look into online books and offline browsers(that way u dont have to wait a lot of time for isp login), the links section of this site has a couple of places for FREE online book sites
I am 11 years old and i have programming for about 3 years.
I learned from my brother and books.
I thinks books is the best place to start.

James Bond
James Bond

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement