Advertisement

Going from paper to computer

Started by February 13, 2002 12:02 PM
4 comments, last by Densun 22 years, 7 months ago
I think I''m a decent artist, but I have trouble drawing on the computer. Are the two things quite unrelated? Do I just have to learn how to use the tools?
Draw your work on paper and scan it in. Or get a drawing tablet, which is often a bit more intuitive than using the mouse. Lots of people do one or both of those things.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
Advertisement
not that I necessarily agree with this, but I was once told, "You can teach an artist technology, but you can''t teach a technologist art"
- T. Wade Murphy
I was wondering about that...how do professional game artists get their work onto the comp? Do they scan it in? What do they use?

Chris
Funny you ask, I visited CNN last weekend in Atlanta. (Got a nice personal tour by a pulitzer prize winner senior producer ;p long story) Any how, I went to the graphics department and talked with them. They use a tablet No scanning.

Another interesting thing to note... they don''t use a mac, nor a PC. Instead, some system that cost them $250,000 a computer They also said it didn''t matter if those they hire haven''t the slightest clue how to work them, its not expected. There goes the theory of needing to know how to use a mac
- T. Wade Murphy
Well, you can always color them using Photoshop or Paint Shop pro. If you look at professional artist pages, they usually always have them colored in detail using either or both of those.
Here, visit my website(www.geocities.com/niyanamae). So far I have only CGed two pictures, but it makes them look a TON better. Even if you do not end up using a PC or Mac when you get into the pros, you need to know a lot about color theory and how to color your pictures in in detail first. If you want to learn about color theory buy some books on the subject at your local bookstore. In order to get good at coloring your pictures, you need tons of practice! Best to start asap. ^_^
~Niyana

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement