🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Retro RPG Online (2.5-3) - Engine Demo

Started by
4 comments, last by joshLangley 2 years, 7 months ago

Hello,

Retro RPG Online 2.5 is initially based off the BrowserQuest and later add Asky BrowserQuest Engines. The Devs broke up due to internal differences and departed on there own journeys. Anyway RRO is an attempt at re-creating a early SNES experience of Secret of Mana or Zelda and porting it to an online RPG scale.

Anyway the Map Game Engine is currently being developed and has a few bugs still which need to be ironed out. Basically it's designed to work with massive scale maps and load what is needed on the fly. It also will include collision and path-finding. Here is the Game Engine Demo:

Future Features will be a real-time attack system much like early SNES RPG Games. You will be able to dodge most Enemy attacks and power-up to do more devastating blows. It will also have higher player levels (possibly up to Lv200), and seperate skill levels that get more powerful as you use them. Players will be also be able to allocate points into attributes each level to better there Character.

The Monsters will have fixed level formulas and depending on the type will have modifiers which may make them faster or more deadly. The Quest system will initially be very basic, find items or kill monsters. The next major release I plan to make a plugin engine for more interesting and varied Quest gameplay. PvP will most likely be map-wide and we may also have a non-pvp Server and being able to load into either one. If you die in a map you will become a ghost and it will give you maybe 20 seconds or so to get away from where you died.

You will be also able to teleport to any player with there consent, and teleport to a safe house, where you can Buy items, Auction, Enchant Weapons, purchase looks, and turn in item quests. Special looks maybe become a subcription or pay-once thing, and also minor in-game benefits such as +25%-50%xp (still being decided).

Thats all I can think of for now, thanks and hope maybe to see some of you in Closed-Beta, and yes Closed Beta will have a wipe of characters at the end and maybe give a reward to early testers. Thanks for reading.

kind regards,Josh Langley.
Advertisement

Map traversal is nearly 100% complete it has a couple little bugs which I will fix over time. Next on the roadmap will be the Battle system. After that will have to modify the game stat and damage formulas.

Then I need to work on some security patching, separate user accounts from character selection so you can have more than one. Then CLOSED-BETA testing most likely to occur within 6 months or so from the date of this post. Maybe even shorter if I work really hard. The GUI will also undergo a re-design but that can occur in parallel with the Beta Test. Last of all will be creating a store system to buy looks and maybe some other in-game advantages that are NOT overpowering.

Kind regards,

Joshua Langley

Lead Game Development/Designer

reference:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1155600/discussions/0/4197887985814032459/

Weekly update:

I re-designed most of the Database Storage. It was very messy and parts needed to be re-written. Now I just got too make it compatible with the Server as allot of function signatures changed and some Class re-structuring.

Update:

The bulk of the Server is completed. I still need to make it compatible with client but some good progress has been made. Still to do on the Server is Monster AI movement, a combat system improvement so it's more twitch based and real-time, and some new systems which will most likely include puzzles in-game which will reward the player with mini-boss spawns and good equipment or drop rewards.

The client uses PIXIJS as a renderer so in future 3D effects could potentially be applied. The client also renders the maps only when new parts load so it is very efficient and uses your graphics accelerator.

My aim at the moment is stabilizing the code, then the new systems will be worked on, I hope to make a closed-beta release in a few months. All the best and thanks for reading.

Joshua Langley

Chief Game Designer/Developer.

ref:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1155600/discussions/0/4197887985814032459/

Update:

Most of the client engine has been completed. View our latest engine showcase here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PiBVz5v3q4

Note - It used less than 20% of my GPU at 60fps so expect the game to run on really low spec video cards.

What still needs work?

1. Monsters need to be added. They need to path find on the Server and each monster type needs to be modified to be a bit more unique and provide varied gameplay.

2. NPC interactions may need some modding.

3. Game system formulas will probably need adjusting.

4. We plan on introducing puzzle systems on the Server this will be pretty simple, it will involve moving tile blocks to the correct locations to unlock hidden secrets. This feature may be delayed till AFTER Open Beta.

Estimated time to release

Open Beta maybe about 2 months away so probably Open Beta will be at early next year 2022.

Update see:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1155600/discussions/0/4197887985814032459/#c3114795024902595492

I'm about under a month away from a playable version depending on how motivated I am. I will release the beta version compiled client and server so people can run there own Game Servers to help the testing process go faster and to promote the retail version. The retail version will contain extra stuff and some content from the released version will not be present and not be updated. Cheers all. ^_^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement