Advertisement

Are you using any motion capture hardware (not optical based)?

Started by August 15, 2018 12:55 AM
6 comments, last by benjamin1441 6 years ago
I'm working on a project that requires users to strap on some sensors to their bodies so that I can capture their motion while they walk around in a room and perform simple tasks.  I've found the following motion capture suits and I was wondering if anyone has used any of them.  Do you know of any others that use inertial measurement sensors (not optical cameras)? Can anyone comment on any of this hardware?

8 hours ago, mmakrzem said:

Can anyone comment on any of this hardware?

I do some motion capture and I opted for a visual set. The reason is that even renting these suits and software you will be paying +/- $ 1 200 for a week or so.

If you take the visual path it is only $120 for a green screen set, and $250 for a 4 pack camera set. So it is all the hardware you need for roughly $400. I use Blender as my tracking software; so it is free.

Working like this took me weeks to learn how to proper capture animation. I just can't see anyone spending thousands to learn motion capture for small indie game production.

It's very expensive to do.

Advertisement
2 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

I do some motion capture and I opted for a visual set. The reason is that even renting these suits and software you will be paying +/- $ 1 200 for a week or so.

If you take the visual path it is only $120 for a green screen set, and $250 for a 4 pack camera set. So it is all the hardware you need for roughly $400. I use Blender as my tracking software; so it is free.

Wow, that seems pretty expensive to rent.  The suits on some of the websites listed above show that you can buy a kit for $1K to $2K.

My application doesn't allow for using an optical based approach for measuring a person so that is why I need to go the other route.

32 minutes ago, mmakrzem said:

The suits on some of the websites listed above show that you can buy a kit for $1K to $2K.

That sounds like a really good deal, if it is true. Maybe these are aimed at smaller developers. If you don't need 1:1 capturing; I bet these will work for most part.

You could check their facebook account to see if they have had angry reviews. The only one I have even heard of is the Shadow one, but it was a review article.

Also check is that the software works with your operating system (Windows, Mac). Some motion capture software only work with one OS. Then see what formats these software export; especially if you want to use it for games.

3 minutes ago, Scouting Ninja said:

You could check their facebook account

that's a good idea, I'll have to see if they have facebook accounts for any of the companies.

I just found out about the Notch: https://wearnotch.com/

$379 for 6 sensors seems like the best deal so far, and their software is free too unlike most of the other companies that I have been looking at.

Advertisement

Motion capture animation is a very cool idea for a game, I would like to try it. I would be interested to know how much data those things generate, because if it's in GBs rather than MBs, without compression, then I don't see how you can include it in a game. For instance, my laptop has 4GB of ram, and 1GB of that is taken up by the OS and preinstalled, so if the suits generate GBs of data, then it won't work for a PC game.

The results do look very good though, and I really like it in the films, Andy Serkis as Gollum in Lord of The Rings, etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement