Advertisement

As a game dev, what are you most afraid of?

Started by June 10, 2018 05:20 AM
25 comments, last by lawnjelly 6 years, 1 month ago

Let me elaborate (and no, I didn't intend to bring politics here - sorry for that!) - generally some parties here (from mentioned party) are calling for strong regulation of the internet, games, media, etc.

I'm quite afraid that one day these people might push through an agenda that would end up in very unpleasant visit of government worker, who could shut down whole business just because the game you develop "has wrong idea".

So let me fix my answer - I'm afraid of the government and its regulations in this sense.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

When fixing each bug reveals several more hidden below.

Relevant to me right now...

Advertisement
20 minutes ago, OandO said:

When fixing each bug reveals several more hidden below.

Relevant to me right now...

?

21743017_10154687196992443_1207161858650896930_n.jpg

- Jason Astle-Adams

I'm afraid of the things not related to game development, -  the legal stuff, bureaucracy, someone trying to hack the game through the loopholes i am not aware of

That is why indie dev looks more harder to establish carefully

On 6/10/2018 at 7:27 PM, lawnjelly said:

Patent trolls / IP issues.

At least if no one hears / plays a game, you haven't lost anything, aside from the development effort. If you are attacked by parasitic lawyers, you can lose the shirt off your back.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:07 PM, jbadams said:

For me, I think I'd most hate to attract a toxic community, either as players or because they for some reason object to my game. I wouldn't want to enable that sort of behavior, and definitely don't want my wife and kids threatened because some nutjobs object to my message.

These are good ones.

I have been there on the receiving end of troll front. So much so that I deleted my Facebook account, deleted my Twitter account (walking away from 101,500 gamedev followers), deleted my Google/YouTube account, and all forum accounts. Also going from having half a dozen or so websites to now none at all. 

This is the only forum account that I have kept.

Trolls are the worst breed of human beings.

33 minutes ago, lonewolff said:

These are good ones.

I have been there on the receiving end of troll front. So much so that I deleted my Facebook account, deleted my Twitter account (walking away from 101,500 gamedev followers), deleted my Google/YouTube account, and all forum accounts. Also going from having half a dozen or so websites to now none at all. 

This is the only forum account that I have kept.

Trolls are the worst breed of human beings.

Sad that this has to happen. My personal method of trying to avoid many of these problems is to use multiple different online names for different purposes, and never use my real name where possible. In published work I tend to use pseudonyms. It can even be worth legally changing your name to a common name (very easy in some countries).

Of course this has to be traded off with the value to you of growing a public persona.

I'll always remember this scene from a steve martin film .. quite prophetic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahuPW6_t-z0

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement