🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[Recast] About setting the area id of a navigation mesh using a text file or a bitmap file

Started by
0 comments, last by lucky6969b 6 years, 7 months ago

I am not sure I can ask questions about a specific library here, but if you haven't already. I'd like to tag some polys in a navigation mesh that correspond to grass or road etc, I can give an extent to do so, or in another way, I can directly feed a geometry in and the polys are tagged this way. But I am looking into alternative ways such as allowing the user to tag the polys using a text file or bitmap file (like the way heightfields are done).. If I define a area map which is a grayscale  image, and the values range from 0-255, and for example, if the value of the first char is 0, then I can map this index to certain place in the navigation mesh, and say this is a walkable ground etc, unlike heightfields, where you define an image and the resultant thing is some terrain, but when you start off with a bitmap for area map, you end up with what? you see, I had the geometry already, the area map probably doesn't make sense here, same way as the text file thing....

Any ideas?

Jack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement