🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

personal digital assistant for games

Started by
0 comments, last by Kylotan 7 years, 1 month ago

Hello i am about to choose my bs theses and i wanted to propose to the professor a theses about a siri like digital assistant for games, ranging from chess, to fps to strategy games. Now i have a problem where can i find the most used command an user would hypotetically use ?

i have aksed help to my collegues but they can give me some hints which are rather obvious, is there a litterature about this ?

Advertisement

Normally these programs run 'outside' your applications, and launch other applications as necessary to perform tasks - they don't, generally, take actions within those applications. They can sometimes interact with those applications to some degree by sending messages (e.g Intents in Android) or by communicating via a web API.

The problem you face with games is that they are not set up to receive this sort of input, at all. Most do not expose any sort of external API or interface, and any that do have their own proprietary ones. The games are typically driven only by input devices; keyboard, mouse, touch screen, etc. That is a much lower level than a digital assistant would normally operate at, and presents various problems (e.g. clashes with 'real' input devices, synchronising inputs that must be performed concurrently or sequentially, distinguishing inputs for the assistant from inputs for the game). But the biggest problem is that although these are the inputs shared across all games, they're not 'commands' in the semantic sense, and therefore the concept of "most used commands" may not make sense at this level.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement