🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Wind Fortress, a web browser RPG soon on Kickstarter

Started by
15 comments, last by DrSchizo 10 years, 5 months ago

Hi everybody,

Wind Fortress is a web browser RPG with a strong scenario, a deep universe and the chance to create your own adventure for others to play.

The Wind Fortress is a giant flying island that floats slowly, high in the sky, over a planet filled mostly with oceans and few rare islands. In this world full of magic, science and wilderness, you will discover the friendship and animosity between different people that live on the island. Full of strange encounters and funny dialogues, Wind Fortress' adventure differs from other role-playing games in its peaceful ambiance, which emphasizes exploration, discussion and thought.

home.jpg

Here a list of some of the key features:

• A large choice of actions: your character will evolve by accomplishing quests, but not necessarily by fighting.
  • Nonlinear quests: there are often several ways to solve a problem, and quests can end in different ways. Some of your choices will have an impact on the rest of the adventure.
  • Editors: thanks to several editors, you will be able to create your own adventure - including maps, quests and dialogs - and share them with other players.
  • Pvp: the arena will allow you to fight against and along with other players (up to 6 vs 6)
  • Free evolution: your character skills will evolve depending on the actions you take during the adventure. There is no class system and you are therefore not restricted in your evolution.
  • Guilds: you can join one of the four elemental guilds (Earth, Wind, Water and Fire) or refuse to use magic and join the outcasts.
  • Pets: you can adopt a pet that will follow you during the game.
  • Alchemy lab: you can mix ingredients to create potions and special mixtures.

For now, the world includes:

• eleven areas to explore
  • twenty-eight non-playable characters to meet
  • sixty foes to fight
  • one primary adventure and many secondary quests, for a total of thirty-seven quests split up into almost three hundred steps.

You can find a full description of the game on the Kickstarter project preview page.

carte.jpg

dialogue.jpg

combat.jpg

croquis.jpg

animaux.jpg

Advertisement
Hi,
The final editor will allow player to chose every elements (shape, color and position).
What do you think about it?

looks pretty good. The art is a bit weird for my tastes though.

Thanks! Since the avatars are randomly generated, a lot of combination are weird. The result is much better when chosen by a human being, that *usually* choses parts that fit together.

Here is a demo version of the complete avatar editor: http://www.windfortress.com/demo2.php?p=avatar_editor

EDIT: I've upgraded the export feature of the avatar editor. You can save the avatar in PNG on my server and display it on screen. You can then save it on your computer if you wan't to. Don't hesitate to copy the link of the image and to post it on this page. I'm pretty curious to see your creations!

Moreover, I've edited as well the description of the game on the first post.

Here is a focus on one important character, Merhes:

Merhes grew up a member of the high aristocracy and dedicated his life to studying human societies. As he explored the world to meet people of many ethnic groups, his motivation was purely scientific. This years of exploration sharpened his sense of observation and his understanding of human behavior. He is now the leader of the Guild of Earth and lives in the “Apatameria’s Exile” the famous flying boat where all the knowledge of the Guild is stored.

merhes.jpg

A focus on another non playable character, Graymund:

Graymund is one of the Amazon women of the forest. Her mother died while giving birth to her, and many blamed the cursed newborn baby. She grew up lonely. From an early age, Graymund was feared as much as she was respected for her great magical gift. Adopted by the village shaman, she became her only apprentice. Her adoptive mother gave her an extremely strict education that drove her away. The day she turned eighteen, she packed and left her tribe without any second thoughts. Once arrived in Askan, she joined the Guild of Fire, which she now controls. She is considered as one of the most powerful battle mages of the fortress.

graymund.jpg

I find the idea really good and I like how you present it on Kickstarter. I think I played a similar game with the castle floating in the sky as well and really enjoyed it. The art and game design is interesting, the only thing I found a little mismatched is the poster - although I love it, it doesn't really match the game content (e.x. the colours are totally different in the game itself). Hence, I feel like the poster could reveal more of the character of the game to attract the players.

Great project! Congratulations for getting this far and will keep my fingers crossed once you launch it on Kickstarter.

Thanks a lot. I'm currently working on a website with more details on the game, so every element on the Kickstarter presentation will be detailled. So, straight to the point on the Kickstarter page and further informations on the website.

The poster was influenced by 80s game poster, that were used to be drawn in a different, more realistic style. That was maybe a mistake we made. The previous poster below was more related to the rest of the game. But I frankly prefer the new one. Maybe we could only change the colours to make it more similar to the game itself...

home_v1.jpg

BTW, I upgraded the export feature of the avatar editor. You can save the avatar in PNG on my server and display it on screen. You can then save it on your computer if you wan't to. Don't hesitate to copy the link of the image and to post it on this page. I'm pretty curious to see your creations!

Two new non-playable characters:

Arpis, the Academy Dean

Arpis joined the Guild of Air when he was only a child and quickly developed advanced skills. Very curious, he has participated in many important studies, building a solid reputation over the years. Despite his youthfull appearance, he is currently Dean of the Academy and therefore the most powerful man in Askan.

arpis.jpg

Ilvis, the Troubadour

Ilvis traveled the world as a troubadour for years. He went from village to village, from tavern to tavern, carrying with him only a small backpack and a guitar. His joy of life is matched only by his love for Leim liquor, an alcoholic beverage made from honey. One night at the Askan tavern, Ilvis had his instrument stolen, or maybe lost – he was too drunk to remember! Ilvis the troubadour became Ilvis the homeless, living on the harbor docks, listening to the boat captains’ stories and trading his songs for a beer.

ilvis.jpg

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement