Advertisement

How hard is AI

Started by November 24, 2013 04:26 PM
11 comments, last by ApochPiQ 10 years, 3 months ago

just wondering how hard is it , and more stuff about it cuz i got course about it in Uni

It's about as hard as math.
Advertisement

AI is as hard as how hard you make your AI.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Finite automata / finite state machine theory is long and convoluted :D

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

A simple FSM is just a small program. If you've ever played Final Fantasy 12 then you've programmed an FSM before. More complex AI is more complex, but if you can code and do math you should be fine.
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

You should be fine if you're taking (and passing) other CS courses really. Additionally, AI can be quite fun to work with, which helps. You feel like you're god when you watch something come alive on its own, even if it's just doing some text output. :)

Advertisement

Just for the sake of chitchat, I have the impression that if your game is ready and the only thing missing is the ai for all enemies, your game is just half the way implemented, comparing proportionally.. in a very loose way.

Thing is, you can use a graphic engine, a physics engine..but the ai and gameplay you will have to code yourself, and your ai have to cope with your gameplay, so I have this idea that its basically 50%/50%, gameplay/ai..generalizing. for a rts I thing the ai dominates development entirely..

how close is that line of though?

Just for the sake of chitchat, I have the impression that if your game is ready and the only thing missing is the ai for all enemies, your game is just half the way implemented, comparing proportionally.. in a very loose way.

Thing is, you can use a graphic engine, a physics engine..but the ai and gameplay you will have to code yourself, and your ai have to cope with your gameplay, so I have this idea that its basically 50%/50%, gameplay/ai..generalizing. for a rts I thing the ai dominates development entirely..

how close is that line of though?

Depends on the game. Your average side scrolling shooter, most of the AI isn't reactive and just moves in patterns, or just given an initial velocity and a fire rate. The average MOBA doesn't have much either beyond basic pathfinding and attack AI. (That's not counting Bots for the players of course)

Only God or our Creator truly knows, if you pray nicely he might share the source code rolleyes.gif

But your question is too broad. It can be fairly easy from a simple follow and evade AI to thousands of agents at war all inteliggently using terrain, weapons and morale to their collective groups tactical advantage.

Only God or our Creator truly knows, if you pray nicely he might share the source code rolleyes.gif

But your question is too broad. It can be fairly easy from a simple follow and evade AI to thousands of agents at war all inteliggently using terrain, weapons and morale to their collective groups tactical advantage.

And only him makes unartificial AI, very realistic AI, and he keeps on doing that over a 1000 times every second.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement