Advertisement

To Texture or Not?

Started by September 11, 2004 10:32 PM
0 comments, last by Alan Kemp 20 years ago
Just wanted to do a quick survey, Since this thing is running at 320x240, and has 16bit max color depth, do you think that using textures is actually going to be any better than just using straight colors on the vertices? Personally I think just colors, as we are talking about 3 extra values per vertex (only 1 extra if you are clever), as opposed to needing 2 for the texture coordinates, plus the space the texture will occupy. I'd say that a model at a distance that would be reasonable on the PC, will end up consisting of maybe 500 pixels, which means that the texture on the left boot of this model will probably only be 50 pixels. This means that a texture any larger than 10x10 would be overkill for what you are getting out of it.
Im going for a mix. For my main entities I will be using textures, mainly because I need to do team colours, and because I want to be able to create new skins for some things. But for generic stuff ill be doing plain colours.

Alan
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement