🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Creekside Project

Started by
1 comment, last by DarkMage139 23 years, 11 months ago
For those of you who have read my "It''s Alive" thread in the Game Design board, you probably have an idea of what this is about. If not, I''ll explain it to you: --- After watching "The 13th Floor" I came up with an idea. What if I created a fantasy RPG island, with a few small civilizations, and allowed it to run and develop even when I wasn''t actually participating. A good example would be "what if i killed the king?". After ridding the land of the tyrant, I would get off my PC and for a few days, live in reality again. Then I would return and see what happened. Would another civilization have risen up and tried to conquer the kingdom? Would the lords vie for power? Would the government collapse? I was also informed that some guys at MIT actually did something similar, with a full 3D world (the computer crashed due to memory problems, but I''ve found possible ways around that ). --- The Creekside Project is my own attempt at creating this world of AI. It may take years, but hey, AI is a cool subject... Just to let you guys know. You can "flame" me now... --- P.S. There''s a subproject known as "Oasis"... it''s an attempt to use the AI to make better games... - DarkMage139 ++++++++++++++++ I can do things, things you never knew, I can change your world if you only knew. I can do miracles if you want me to. Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.
- DarkMage139
Advertisement
wouldnt you have to leave the program running 24-7 then ? Thus eating up computer resources when you want to do something else.
I guess you could just disable all ouput like graphics and other stuff and just leave the AI running but AI of that magnitude would eat alot of resources and CPU cycles in itself I would think.
One possible way around this that I see is right before you turn the game off, write a time stamp to a file. Then the next time you turn your program on, read in the time stamp, get the current time and calculate the elapsed time. Then you could figure out what and how much should have happened in that time period.

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
themGames Productions

*Pulls out flamethrower*.. Nah. *Replaces the flamethrower*.. I like your idea, it is DEFINITELY going to be a LONG project. If I wasn''t in so deep on NPCAI then I might join you... But maybe our projects will meet somewhere in the future... somewhere, sometime

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement